Would I Need A Permit?

FirstLight’s authority to manage shoreline property comes from its Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) licenses, which are required to operate hydropower stations (also called FERC projects). The project boundaries include lands that FirstLight must own or control for station operations. Within the project boundaries, FirstLight manages shoreline uses to balance many interests including power generation, environmental protection, flood control, irrigation and public recreation.

As such, it is FirstLight’s responsibility to manage its lands and waters by enacting permissions for anything that might affect those operations.

How do I apply for a permit in Connecticut?

For information on shoreline and land uses and to apply for permits in Connecticut please visit FirstLight’s Shoreline Management online application portal.

By clicking this link, you will leave FirstLightPower.com to go to our third-party partner portal, Adept, which handles all permit applications in Connecticut for FirstLight Power.

How Do i apply for a permit in Massachusetts?

The lands and waters of the Turners Falls and Northfield Mountain Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Projects include over 4,000 acres around Northfield Mountain Station and along the Connecticut River between the dams at Turners Falls, MA and Vernon, VT.

A permit is required for any use or alteration of Project lands including, cutting trees, clearing brush, landscaping, building a dock, withdrawing water for irrigation, and other utility or municipal uses. To obtain a permit, please follow the process below:

  1. Contact Land Management Administrator to determine if the desired use is consistent with FirstLight land management goals and the FERC required Permit Program.
  2. If a permit will be issued for the use, submit information needed for preliminary FirstLight consent.
  3. Obtain federal, state and local permits for the planned use and copy FirstLight on all applications and approvals.
  4. A FirstLight permit, called a License Agreement, will then be provided for use of the project lands. Return signed FirstLight License with liability insurance documentation and license fee (if applicable).
  5. Begin use.

Click here for types of Shoreline uses in massachusetts

click here for resources and documents in massachusetts